1. A WordPress website/blog is nothing more than a set of posts, blog entries. That is the base case for a free site.
2. VFSS.CA is a WordPress site with the content and structure, more or less, of the folksongsociety.org website. It has a page for “PERFORMERS” that has only four of us at the moment. I’d be happy to create a page for you or anyone else that has audio or video content we could post.
3. If you accept my invitation to become an AUTHOR you can make posts to the BLOG which can contain audio or video. That is you can just create a post like a web page with content. Anyone with editor access can link posts to pages.
4. If you graduate to EDITOR you can create and maintain the static pages that host the content from folksongsociety.org. You also have input into the format of pages that is unavailable to Authors. That means you can create a new performer page and link the performers posts to the page. Volia a performance site.
5. Another important task for new EDITORS could be to assist in the migration of parts of the current folksongsociety.org website that they think are particularly important.
Should we be planning our annual Anniversary celebration, currently on the calendar for June 17? If we are still closed due to Covid restrictions, perhaps we could have it on the 1st Wednesday back in our new schedule, September 2.
Video editing is a pretty big topic. I made a video a few years with LightWorks which was a real bear to operate. Microsoft Movie is no longer easily available on windows 10 so I searched WordPress and someone recommended SHOTCUT.
Shotcut enables you to assemble images and clips or parts of clips onto a timeline just like LightWorks and MS Movie but the user interface is much easier to mange. The timeline contains both audio and video tracks from videos in your playlist.
You can easily create transitions between shots and remove all of the audio from the clips you load and replace it with custom sound if you are so inclined. You can create and manage Titles and text overlays that follow parts of your movie.
I’m still learning to use SHOTCUT but if anyone wants to create a video from some smart phone footage I’ll give it a try. I use AUDACITY, as a digital audio workstation. It lets me create multi track audio and mix tracks down to stereo for publication or to use as a studio audio track with a video.
Both AUDACITY and SHOTCUT are open source and cost only time to download and install.
Casting about for a way to share some of the good cheer and community that we experience at our Folk Song Society Wednesday evenings, I came upon a recording of a full songcircle that I made back on April Fool’s Day, 2015. Since the upcoming songcircle we will be missing would also have taken place on April Fool’s (2020), it seems appropriate to share selections from that recording now.
The theme was Parodies and Silly Songs and the host was Betty McBurney, so we’ll kick things off with her song.