Before joining a VFSS Zoom session, we ask that you set your Zoom screen name to include both your first and last names, for example “Jane Doe” (rather than just “Jane” or “doe” or “doe’s phone” or “iPad” or …). Optionally, you may also include your location, e.g., “Jane Doe (Burnaby, BC).”
The procedure used to preset your screen name depends on whether or not your Zoom app is signed-in to Zoom. To determine that, find the Zoom app on your computer or mobile device and open it from there (not by clicking or tapping on a link received in an email).
• If you see a big blue button labelled Join a Meeting, that means you ARE NOT signed-in to Zoom
• If you see four big buttons labelled New Meeting, Join, Schedule, and Share Screen (you may need to click or tap on a small Home or Meet & Chat icon to see them), that means you ARE signed-in to Zoom
Remember your signed-in status, exit the Zoom app, and follow the relevant procedure below.
Procedure for those who ARE NOT signed-in to Zoom
The next time you go to join a VFSS Zoom session, do not click on the link in the announcement email. Instead, take the following steps. (NOTE: You only have to go through this procedure once. For later sessions, simply click on the link in the announcement email and Zoom will use the name you previously entered.)
1. Open the Zoom app and press the big blue Join a Meeting button
2. Enter the Meeting ID provided in the announcement email
3. Enter your first and last name (and, optionally, location) in the Name field
4. If there is a checkbox labelled “Remember my name for future meetings”, be sure it is checked
5. Press Join
6. Enter the Passcode provided in the announcement email and press Join or Continue
Procedure for those who ARE signed-in to Zoom
Any time before the next VFSS Zoom session, set your default Display Name (another term for screen name) by taking the following steps. (NOTE: You only have to go through this procedure once.)
1. In your web browser, go to zoom.us and sign-in to your account
2. On the Profile page (top item in the left-side column), press Edit to the right of your name
3. Ensure that the Display Name field contains your first and last name (and, optionally, location)
4. Press Save Changes if you changed anything
Whenever you click on a Zoom link in an announcement email, Zoom will use your default Display Name.
(If you would prefer to have a default Display Name that does not conform to the VFSS-requested format, e.g., for your other uses of Zoom, you may override your default Display Name when joining a VFSS session by following the procedure above for those who ARE NOT signed-in to Zoom, pressing the big Join button in step 1.)