Here’s our schedule of events for the next three months:
Wed., July 6: In-Person Song Circle at the Friends’ Meeting House
Wed., July 20: 63rd Anniversary Celebration!
Wed., Aug. 3: In-Person Song Circle at the Friends’ Meeting House
Wed., Aug. 17: Online Song Circle on Zoom
Wed., Sep. 7: In-Person Song Circle at the Friends’ Meeting House
Wed., Sep 21: Online Song Circle on Zoom
Fri., Sep. 30 — Sun. Oct. 2: Annual Retreat at Camp Alexandra
Details for the Annual Retreat can be found here; for all the other events, see below.
63rd Anniversary Celebration!
On the warm, summer evening of Wednesday, July 20, we will be celebrating the 63rd Anniversary of the VFSS by trying something new and, we hope, well suited to these not-quite-post-pandemic times: multiple, concurrent, outdoor song circles, and a Zoom session too!
- Outdoor song circles will be held at a half-dozen venues around the Greater Vancouver area, each hosted by one or more VFSS members.
- At most venues, the gathering time will be 7:00 pm; some hosts are inviting folks to show up earlier with snacks or a picnic supper, if they wish.
- The number of folks at each venue will be limited to allow for well spaced-out seating and to provide lots of turns to lead a song.
- Most hosts have a backup plan in case of rain.
- There will be a concurrent, online song circle for our out-of-town members and friends, as well as any local folks who are unable to attend one of the in-person circles. We are hoping (not promising) that the various outdoor gatherings will be able to briefly join the Zoom session at 8:00 pm so we can all toast our anniversary together!
See the descriptions below for details about each venue, as provided by the hosts. If you would like to attend one of the outdoor venues or the Zoom session, please sign up with the host for that venue no later than Saturday, July 16, using the host-provided contact info, below.
Venue #1 — Dunbar
Come and celebrate with Grace starting at 7:00 pm on July 20th, for the FOLK Anniversary. Grace will be hosting an outdoor event in her beautiful backyard garden and deck (inside if it rains), at 3847 West 38th Ave. There is washroom accessibility but no wheelchair accessibility. Guests are welcome to bring goodies but it’s not essential. Grace will make punch. There is a limit of 12-15 people. Masks are optional.
Phone Grace at 604 261 4498 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
Venue #2 — Fort Langley
Celebrate the Folk’s Anniversary in Fort Langley in Madeleine’s big back yard. Address: 23253 Francis Ave. Come anytime after 2.30pm, to avoid the rush hour. River walk option. Bring your own supper and drinks to avoid sharing. Masks optional. Limited numbers (8) so lots of chance to lead songs. Indoor option in large living room with doors open if it's raining.
Phone Jim to confirm 778-229-0594
Venue #3 — Trout Lake Park, East Van
Leona Axbey and Janie Benna are co-hosting this live, outdoor VFSS anniversary song circle at Trout Lake. Please bring your own chairs, snacks and water. Washrooms are nearby and the site, including washrooms, is wheelchair accessible, has a large parking lot, and is close to transit.
We will meet in the field area to the north of the large parking lot off 19th. This is at the south end of Trout Lake, and east of the washrooms/concession and BC Parkway bike path. From East 12th Avenue, go south on Victoria, left onto 19th Ave., left onto B.C. Parkway. Look for the pink balloons. https://email@example.com,-123.0611574,17z
We ask you to sign up/register with Janie at 604-454-1771 or cell 778-960-4733, or firstname.lastname@example.org. In case we need to cancel due to bad weather please be prepared to give your phone number.
Venue #4 — North Vancouver
Celebrate the Folk’s Anniversary July 20 in North Vancouver in Charles' back yard or inside if it rains. Address: 336 East 12 St. Come anytime after 3 pm, to avoid the rush hour. You may bring snacks and drinks, sharing and masks are optional. A washroom is available on the main floor. Numbers will be capped at 8 so there will be lots of chances to lead songs. Indoor option if it's raining in a living room/dining room with an open door. Sing what you please but please sing.
Phone or text Charles to confirm 778-990-1946.
Venue #5 — Oakridge / Langara
Come celebrate the VFSS Anniversary with Barry Truter and Christina Ray!
• Near 49th & Cambie in Vancouver. July 20, 7:00-9:30 pm. Directions to follow.
• If nice weather: On the large patio next to the pond. If rainy: in the spacious common room with an open door. Both spaces wheelchair accessible.
• Bring your own chair, water, and snacks.
• Public washroom less than a block away.
• Only 10 participants, so lots of chances to sing.
• Covid: Good ventilation, space for distancing, and masks optional. Before you come, please self-screen for Covid symptoms or recent exposure.
• Register by email to VFSS@shaw.ca to reserve your spot.
Venue #6 — Kitsilano / West Point Grey
Join Allison Campbell and most of the Lazy Jacks for a sea song and shanty-themed song circle at a secret outdoor location somewhere between Kitsilano and West Point Grey in Vancouver. Please bring your own chairs, snacks and water. You are invited aboard by enlisting/registering with Allison at email@example.com. You’ll be sent more details in plenty of time for the event, once you’ve registered. This is mainly so we know how many folks are coming, and to contact you in case we need to cancel. For this reason please include your phone number. We’re not sure about wheelchair accessibility, but there are washrooms nearby and it’s fairly handy to transit (or a boat!)
Venue #7 — Online
The Zoom session will open at 7:00 pm, with singing starting at 7:15. Organized as a single, large sing-around. No breakout rooms.
Please register in advance by email to VFSS@shaw.ca. The Zoom link will be sent to registered attendees on the day before the event.
In-Person Song Circles on July 6, Aug. 3, and Sep. 7
- At the Friends’ Meeting House, 1090 W. 70th Ave. (near Oak St.), Vancouver, BC.
- No need to pre-register.
- Bring proof of vaccination (QR code) if you have not presented it at one of our previous gatherings.
- Masks to be worn at all times indoors, except when leading a song. Masks of at least N95 grade are recommended.
- Doors open at 7:00 pm and singing starts at 7:30. There will be a 15-minute break at 8:30, during which the doors will be opened wide to ventilate the hall. Tea and cookies will not be served downstairs during the break; you are welcome to bring your own drinks and snacks for consumption outside during the break. We will wrap up at about 9:45.
Online Song Circles on Aug. 17 and Sep. 21
- Zoom session opens at 7:00 pm and the evening’s program begins at 7:30 pm.
- Zoom link and Main Stage sign-up invitation sent by email the day before.
- If you are not already receiving our Zoom Info emails, you can subscribe at vfss.ca/email-lists.
If you have questions about any of the above events, feel free to email them to VFSS@shaw.ca.